Arkansas State University Mid-South, a comprehensive community college serving Crittenden County, Arkansas, and the greater Memphis area, seeks a full-time instructor for its FAA-certificated Aviation Maintenance Technician School (AMTS). The successful candidate will be a forward-thinking, process-oriented advocate of the aviation maintenance industry and vital member of the AMTS instructional team, as the AMTS strives to expand its capacity and significantly increase the number of certificated Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) mechanics to support the workforce needs of the aviation maintenance industry.
· Current FAA Mechanic Certificate with both Airframe and Powerplant ratings
· Associate Degree in Aviation Maintenance Technology or related technical service field a plus**
· Knowledge of FAA Part 147 federal regulations for Aviation Maintenance Technician Schools
(14 CFR 147 / AC 147-3C).
· Working knowledge of MS Office Suite applications.
*A compelling combination of educational background, work experience, and professional credentials may be considered, including relevant, prior military experience.
**Related technical service field is one which specializes in complex mechanical, electrical, vehicular, or transportation systems. The Vice Chancellor for Learning and Instruction and the Dean of Advanced Manufacturing and Transportation, in consultation with current AMTS faculty, will determine the applicability of a particular related technical service field.
Reports to the Dean of Advanced Manufacturing and Transportation with collaborative responsibility for the curriculum, instruction, lab oversight, and industry alignment of the Aviation Maintenance Technical School. Maintaining FAA certification and Part 147 AMTS compliance is a programmatic and institutional priority. Teaching schedule may include evening or weekend hours.
· Teach FAA-required subjects related to General, Airframe, and Powerplant ratings in an FAA Part 147 program and a college undergraduate credit model and maintain course/student records, as required.
· Adhere to FAA Part 147 program regulations and processes to help ensure program compliance, including those related to student files, student attendance, and make-up time for work missed; help maintain FAA certification.
· Maintain orderly classroom/lab processes, ensuring that students are on task and actively engaged in learning and that students are being prepared to meet the expectations of a real-world work environment.
· Assist in maintaining aircraft, equipment, tools, supplies, and instructional aids and in determining ongoing programmatic and instructional needs.
· Monitor emerging industry trends and technologies to ensure relevance of the AMTS curriculum and training aids.
· Support a culture of student learning and student success by serving as a program advisor for enrolled students and potential students of the AMTS.
· Assess student learning and implement strategies that help students attain course- and program-level learning outcomes and support improvement of instruction.
· Participate in institutional and programmatic recruitment and retention initiatives; demonstrate leadership by helping to identify methods and markets related to AMTS student recruitment.
· Represent the AMTS through service to the College, including participation in College committees and activities.
· Participate in commencement, student advising and registration, and other required activities.
· Understand and comply with College policies and procedures.
· Assume responsibility for other duties which may be assigned.
The salary is commensurate with education and experience. A competitive benefits package is available including retirement; health, life, dental & disability insurance; a flex benefit plan; and educational discounts for employee and family.
Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Required Application Materials
· A cover letter detailing interest and fit for the position sought.
· A completed ASU Mid-South Application for Employment, including contact information and affiliation for three professional references who can attest to the candidate’s qualifications for this position.
· A current resume or curriculum vitae.
· Copies of college transcripts relevant to the position of interest.
Please note that ASU Mid-South requires a criminal background check as part of the employment process.
How to Apply: Email cover letter, resume, and employment application to:
Arkansas State University Mid-South
2000 West Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301
ASU Mid-South and the Arkansas State University System are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers.