Immediate Supervisor: This position reports directly to the Director of Adult Education & Literacy, but works in tandem with the Assistant Director.
General Description: This a part-time grant-funded position that includes days and some evening hours at ASU-Mid-South campus and off-site locations. This position provides individual and small group tutoring to adult education students. Assist students in improving academic achievement by meeting with them on a regular basis to clarify learning problems and work on study skills. Other assistance might include: reviewing class material, predicting test questions, or working on solutions to problems.
1. Provides effective instruction for Adult Education students using state-approved best practices:
• Designs and selects classroom activities and lessons which help students progress toward skills achievement.
• Counsels students monthly on their progress in the classroom, making applicable notes in the students’ files.
• Participates in team teaching and planning as appropriate.
• Uses digital platforms to provide differentiation in course delivery and engagement
• Maintains order and discipline in the classroom.
• Protects the confidentiality of student information and records by maintaining them in a secure environment at all times.
• Communicates resource needs to ASU Mid-South Adult Education Office staff.
• Maintains the integrity of all classroom materials
2. Assists in achieving Adult Education program goals and measurable objectives in support of grant guidelines and the College’s mission and purposes, strategic goals, and vision statements:
• Uses students test data to develop an Individualized Education Plan (IEP) for each student.
• May administer TABE, BEST, or BEST Plus Test to determine student placement for students & course placement.
• Tracks student progress and attendance to ensure post-tests are administered in a timely manner by reviewing LACES system weekly.
• Documents student performance: daily attendance, test results, and classroom work. Report student data weekly to the database administrator.
• Support students in obtaining their General Education Diploma and Workforce Certificates
• Participates in GED graduation and Adult Education recruitment activities.
• Works with ASU Mid-South and other state agencies (i.e. Career Pathways, Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act – WIOA, Workforce Services, On-Stop Partners) to promote student retention and advancement to post-secondary education or workplace opportunities.
3. Engages in professional development for job enhancement and growth.
• Attends conferences and/or workshops to learn about developing practices and program requirements.
• Actively participates within meetings, Adult Education Training sessions, and guides Professional Learning Communities within center
• Attends college advisory and registration meetings and other workshops related to student retention and success.
• Completes the required number of professional development hours for program compliance.
4. Completes other duties as assigned.
Qualifications: A valid Arkansas Teaching License is required. General computer skills required, as well as attention to detail, ability to organize and execute multiple tasks and responsibilities with minimal supervision. Must have a demonstrated track record of professional dependability and reliability, including punctuality and attention to detail, as well as the ability to work both without supervision and as part of a team. Must maintain up-to-date licensure and credentials, as required by the State of Arkansas. May be required to obtain an English Language Learning (ELL) certification.
Salary: Commensurate with education, experience, and credentials.
Required Application Materials:
Interested applicants should submit (1) a letter of application, detailing interest and fit for the position; (2) a current resume; (3) a college transcript showing highest degree earned; (4) a list of three professional references; and (5) a completed ASU Mid-South Employment Application (https://www.asumidsouth.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Employment_Application.pdf) to the address below:
Arkansas State University Mid-South
ATTN: Human Resources
2000 West Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301
870-733-6719 (fax) or email to email@example.com
All employees are required to submit to a pre-employment background check and a driver’s license review.
ASU Mid-South and the Arkansas State University System are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers