ASU Mid-South, a comprehensive community college located just minutes from downtown Memphis, Tennessee, seeks a student-focused, highly organized, and detail-oriented individual to provide student and learning support to its college-based Secondary Technical Center (STC). ASU Mid-South’s STC enrolls students from three local school districts in Crittenden County, Arkansas, and provides them with an opportunity to receive occupational training in a variety of high-skill technical programs and to earn associated post-secondary academic credentials and industry-recognized certifications. The position of Secondary Specialist is a full-time, 12-month position with full college benefits.
Qualifications: Candidates must hold at least a Bachelor’s degree in Student Personnel Services, Career and Technical Education, CTE discipline, or other related area, with a Master’s degree in Educational Leadership or one of the disciplines mentioned above preferred. Preference will be given to candidates with prior administration, teaching, or student services experience and a student-centered educational philosophy that focuses on student learning and success. Previous use of Canvas or another Learning Management System (LMS) is a plus. A compelling combination of educational background, work experience, and professional credentials may be considered.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to coordinate and complete multiple tasks, communicate promptly and appropriately regarding student-related matters, and execute responsibilities as assigned by supervisors. Other desired traits and qualifications include teaming well with others; excellent interpersonal, written, and communication skills; evidence of ongoing commitment to professional development; and proficiency in the use of Microsoft applications.
Responsibilities: This position reports to the STC Director. Responsibilities include supporting the efficient operation of ASU Mid-South’s STC, promoting student learning and addressing student and faculty needs and challenges. This position is also responsible for the effective coordination and execution of SkillsUSA activities and events.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following items:
- Monitor and communicate transportation logistics for high school students (bus arrival, departures).
- Work with the STC Director and College administration, as necessary, to resolve issues related to safety, busing, punctuality, class attendance, early dismissal, and classroom behavior.
- Be visible and maintain a consistent presence across campus. Coordinate with STC Director to monitor student pick-up and drop-off locations, as well as conduct informal visits to classrooms to monitor student behavior.
- Collaborate with program faculty, Career Coaches, Enrollment Services staff, and STC Director to advise and register STC students, assisting with degree planning and providing career-related guidance.
- Provide timely feedback to the STC Director and Career Coaches involving STC students as it pertains to topics such as attendance, grades, behavior, etc.
- Assist in tracking STC student academic progression and credential attainment; create and maintain data sets to help inform strategic, programmatic, and budget planning.
- Assist with student and recruitment activities such as field trips, college fairs and showcases, career fairs and other college extracurricular activities as they pertain to the STC.
- At the direction of the STC Director, provide administration and oversight of the SkillsUSA student organization and integration within STC programs of study, coordination of internal competition (s) and other related activities, and registration of and travel with students to state and national competitions and leadership events.
- Fill in for appropriate administrators and/or instructors should the need arise.
- Demonstrate familiarity with and consistently apply STC/ASU Mid-South policies.
- Assume other duties as required.
Salary: $40,000 with full college benefits. Competitive benefits package available including retirement; health, life, dental & disability insurance; a flex benefit plan; and educational discounts for employee and family.
Start Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Please note that ASU Mid-South requires a criminal background check as part of the employment process.
Required Application Materials:
- a letter of interest specifying the position sought,
- a completed ASU Mid-South application for employment including contact information for three professional references who can attest to the candidate’s qualifications for this position,
- a statement of educational philosophy,
- a resume or curriculum vitae, and
- copies of college transcripts relevant to the position of interest.
For an application to be considered, all requested materials must be submitted simultaneously either by mail, email, fax, or personal delivery to:
Arkansas State University Mid-South
ATTN: Jackie Leech
2000 West Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301-3829
(870) 733-6719 (FAX)