Career and Technical Education
The Perkins Career and Technical Education (CTE) Guidance and Success Advisor is a grant-funded position at Arkansas State University Mid-South, a comprehensive community college serving Crittenden County, Arkansas, and the greater Memphis area. This is a new position, created to support ASU Mid-South CTE programs, student success, and enhanced services aligned with Perkins V federal requirements and funding. The ideal candidate is excited to work with students regarding career and success planning and is also entrepreneurial, collaborative, detail-oriented, and knowledgeable about career and technical/workforce education.
The Perkins CTE Career Guidance and Success Advisor reports to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Strategic Initiatives and Workforce Education and assists with Perkins V grant accountability tasks, also collaborating with College faculty and staff and external partners to accomplish grant activities and objectives. This is a full-time, annually funded grant position with full college benefits. Responsibilities and activities are confirmed on an annual basis and are dependent upon the attainment of Perkins grant performance indicators, continued funding levels, and outcomes of the Perkins comprehensive local needs assessment. Working hours are primarily during the day, but some evening hours may be required in order to expand student access to services. A compelling combination of educational background, work experience, and professional credentials may be considered.
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
· Bachelor’s degree related to career and technical education, workforce education, student services, career and/or academic advising or counseling, or related.
· At least 3 years’ work experience related to the position responsibilities.
· Experience in working with individuals of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, including those with different levels of academic preparation and varying physical and learning abilities.
· Proficient technology skills in MS applications. Must be able to use Excel at an advanced level. A computer skills test may be a required part of the interview process.
· Strong written and oral communication, interpersonal, organizational, and facilitation skills.
· Ability to work productively and technologically within both a campus-based and a remote environment and pivot between the two.
Other Desired Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
· Master’s degree related to career and technical education, workforce education, student services, career and/or academic advising or counseling, or related.
· Experience with the Canvas Learning Management Platform and/or Starfish Enterprise Success Platform.
· One or more relevant professional certifications.
· National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC), silver level or higher.
· Experience in an education setting, preferably community college or other higher education.
· Work with students and potential students to increase awareness of and assess interest in CTE careers and nontraditional career options, navigate enrollment processes, and connect with CTE instructors in a desired program of study.
· Encourage and facilitate student attainment of Perkins CTE success indicators, including non-traditional participation; completion and credential attainment, including academic credentials and professional certifications and licensures; and retention/placement.
· Manage tracking processes for documentation and reporting of CTE student attainment of professional certifications and licensures.
· Assist in the development of a referral system with One-Stop partners and serve as the referral point of contact for One-Stop partner clients and CTE students/potential students.
· Collaborate with faculty/staff and workforce/community stakeholders in referring CTE students to resources which will support student success and help provide solutions to student success barriers.
· Align activities with the targeted focus areas and strategies and related processes in ASU Mid-South’s 4-year local Perkins application and annual plan.
· Collaborate with Career Services and Business/Industry Services to help ensure mutually effective communication, knowledge, support, and success related to the activities and objectives of each entity.
· Participate in activities related to CTE and Perkins (and lead when requested), such as program showcases and presentations, college fairs, career expos, and career exploration camps.
· Maintain accurate and timely grant documentation related to CTE student interactions, activities, and other responsibilities related to the position.
· Assist with Perkins grant processes, including data capture and analyses, determination of disparities and gaps, reporting, evaluation, and the comprehensive needs assessment.
· Participate in training to learn and remain current in the use of various College data systems and platforms, including Banner, Canvas, Starfish, EMSI Career Coach, and the virtual Career Center.
· Participate in College workshops and other required training, as well as external professional development opportunities related to the position, such as Career Facilitator Development training.
· Assist in achieving goals and measurable objectives in support of grant objectives and the College’s mission and purposes, strategic goals and vision statements.
· Demonstrate professionalism, leadership, integrity, and teamwork in all interactions and communication, both internal and external.
· Participate in College committees and required activities and perform other duties as assigned in support of grant objectives.
$40,000 with full College benefits. Not negotiable. Competitive benefits package available including retirement; health, life, dental, vision, and disability insurance; a flex benefits plan; tuition discounts; and retirement plan.
Start Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Please note that ASU Mid-South requires a criminal background check as part of the employment process.
Required Application Materials
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Applications must include the following items:
· A detailed cover letter addressing the applicant’s interest and fit for the position.
· A current resume or curriculum vitae
· A completed ASU Mid-South application for employment
· A list of three professional references who can attest to the applicant’s qualifications for the position, including contact information and an explanation of the working relationship with each
· College transcripts
For an application to be considered, all requested materials must be submitted simultaneously either by mail, email, fax, or personal delivery to:
Arkansas State University Mid-South
ATTN: Human Resources
2000 West Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301-3829
(870) 733-6719 (FAX)
ASU Mid-South and the Arkansas State University System are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers.