ASU Mid-South, a comprehensive community college located just minutes from downtown Memphis, Tennessee, seeks a progressive, highly organized, and entrepreneurial individual to provide leadership and initiative in expanding its existing Mechatronics program to train individuals to fill the growing demand for highly skilled maintenance and engineering technicians in the advanced manufacturing sector. The successful candidate should demonstrate a willingness to stay abreast of emerging technologies in the field, specifically as it relates to robotics and automated production systems, and be prepared to update programming and curriculum to integrate training on these highly sought competencies.
ASU Mid-South’s Mechatronics program offers students an opportunity to earn industry-recognized certifications and four certificates of proficiency, as well as an Associate of Applied Science Degree, that will prepare them to seek rapid entry to employment.
This is a full-time, 12-month position with full college benefits.
Qualifications: Candidate must hold an associate’s degree in mechatronics, industrial maintenance, advanced manufacturing or related field, with bachelor’s degree preferred, and at least 5 years’ related industry experience. Familiarity with Amatrol training equipment, automation, robotics, and programmable logic controllers is required. Consideration will be given to candidates with greater experience and relevant industry-recognized certifications (i.e. PMMI, MSSC, OSHA). Working knowledge of Microsoft applications is required, and previous use of Canvas or another Learning Management System (LMS) is a plus. Preference will be given to candidates with prior teaching or industrial training experience. A compelling combination of educational background, work experience, and professional credentials may be considered.
Other qualifications include the ability to read/analyze and interpret blueprints related to the profession; excellent interpersonal, written and communication skills; a working knowledge of Microsoft applications; and evidence of ongoing commitment to professional development.
Responsibilities: Reports to the Dean of Advanced Manufacturing and Transportation with responsibility for the curriculum, instruction, lab oversight, and industry alignment of the Mechatronics program. Teaching schedule may include evening or weekend hours. Includes opportunities to develop and/or facilitate non-credit instruction.
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Schedule and teach courses for the Mechatronics program during the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.
· Deliver instruction to secondary and postsecondary students that aligns with approved ASU Mid-South syllabi and academic standards, supporting student attainment of course- and program-level learning outcomes.
· Build positive relationships and educational partnerships with vendors and local advanced manufacturing employers in eastern Arkansas and the Greater Memphis region in support of employer training needs and to foster engagement in program initiatives and the Mechatronics Advisory Committee.
· Develop curriculum in response to employer input and ensure program alignment with industry-recognized certifications and local industry needs.
· Maintain accurate attendance and grade records using the College’s LMS.
· Collaborate with relevant grant-sponsored programs to attain grant objectives and support the College’s track record of success with executing federal, state, and privately-funded grant-sponsored initiatives.
· Collaborate with the College’s Office of Strategic Initiatives to develop and deliver non-credit workforce training and to help identify additional instructors to deliver non-credit training.
· Facilitate PMMI certification exams to qualifying students.
· Monitor emerging industry trends and technologies to ensure relevance of Mechatronics curriculum and training aids.
· Maintain equipment and supplies inventory and determine ongoing programmatic and instructional needs.
· Ensure lab areas are clean, well-maintained, and compliant with appropriate safety standards.
· Assist in the recruitment, supervision, and mentoring of program faculty.
· Participate in institutional and programmatic recruitment and retention initiatives; demonstrate leadership by helping to identify methods and markets related to Mechatronics student recruitment.
· Serve as an academic program advisor for students enrolled in the Mechatronics program.
· Understand and comply with college policies and procedures.
· Participate in registration, commencement, and other required activities.
· Serve on college committees, including participation on program advisory councils.
Salary: $55,000 annually. Competitive benefits package available including retirement; health, life, dental & disability insurance; a flex benefit plan; and educational discounts for employee and family.
Start Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Please note that ASU Mid-South requires a criminal background check as part of the employment process as well as a driver’s license verification.
Required Application Materials:
· a letter of interest specifying the position sought,
· a completed ASU Mid-South application for employment including contact information for three professional references who can attest to the candidate’s qualifications for this position,
· a statement of educational philosophy,
· a resume or curriculum vitae, and
· copies of college transcripts relevant to the position of interest.
For an application to be considered, all requested materials must be submitted simultaneously either by mail, email, fax, or personal delivery to:
Arkansas State University Mid-South
ATTN: Human Resources
2000 West Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301-3829
(870) 733-6719 (FAX)