ASU Mid-South, a comprehensive community college located just minutes from downtown Memphis, Tennessee, seeks a progressive, highly organized, and entrepreneurial individual to provide leadership, oversight, and initiative in leading its Liberal Arts programs. ASU Mid-South’s Liberal Arts programs offer students a variety of coursework designed for delivery of short-term term certificates, including stackable credentials comprising a career pathway model with multiple entry and exit points; credit toward associate degree awards; and transfer toward a baccalaureate degree at four-year universities.
This is a full-time, 12-month position with full college benefits.
Qualifications: Candidate must hold a master’s degree and at least 5 years of teaching experience. Previous experience in a leadership role is preferred. Knowledge and understanding of assessment practices, online learning platforms, and honors programs are desired. A compelling combination of educational background, work experience, and professional credentials may be considered.
Responsibilities: This position reports to the Vice Chancellor for Learning and Instruction, with direct oversight of and supervisory responsibilities for the following programs and departments:
· Communications and Fine Arts
· Teacher Education
· Social Sciences and Humanities
· Health and Physical Education
Schedule may include evening or weekend hours.
Duties include, but are not limited, to the following:
Curriculum and Instruction
· Teach 12 credit hours per academic year.
· Design, develop, implement, and coordinate honors program in general education courses.
· Work with faculty and Institutional Research to update and assess course- and program-level learning outcomes to ensure transferability of coursework (where applicable) and relevance of curriculum.
· Ensure the currency and relevance of academic programming by facilitating textbook adoptions, syllabi updates, and curricular adjustments.
· Identify and oversee development of new programs based on industry demand, labor market information, and regional workforce needs, and assist in regular program reviews to determine and improve program viability.
· Conduct and coordinate ongoing observations of classroom instruction for adjunct and full-time instructors, with a commitment to quality improvement.
· Develop and facilitate faculty training to promote best practices in teaching, classroom management, use of technology, and other topics, as needed.
· Coordinate and collaborate closely with the Sandra C. Goldsby Library to connect curricular activities and initiatives with library-centered activities and initiative.
· Engage in professional development and maintain institutional/programmatic memberships in professional organizations that promote high quality teaching and learning.
· Participate in relevant advisory council meetings to seek employer partner input regarding curriculum, competencies, skills, and certifications required in the job market.
· Collaborate with and assist Business and Industry Services in the development and execution of a catalog of non-credit/community education courses.
· Stay abreast of technology, supply, and equipment needs for faculty and programs.
· Serve as point-of-contact to University Center programs and institutions, assisting the Vice Chancellor for Learning and Instruction to develop and maintain transfer agreements for relevant degree programs.
Leadership and Supervision
· Participate in activities, committees, and professional development supporting regional accreditation requirements; provide leadership to strategic, operational, and departmental planning efforts.
· Guide, manage, and coordinate the efficient scheduling and staffing of courses for both secondary and adult students in relevant programs, ensuring that faculty have sufficient instructional loads.
· Provide support to the Sandra C. Goldsby Library, coordinating activities, events, and initiatives between the library and academic programs, where appropriate.
· Lead hiring processes and make hiring recommendations for full-time and adjunct instructors, developing and administering orientation and mentoring to new hires.
· Review and process requests from faculty for purchase of supplies/equipment/other programmatic needs, travel/professional development, and leave.
· Provide formative evaluations for all full-time faculty and staff in reporting line.
· Collaborate with Strategic Initiatives to assist in the attainment of grant- and program-related objectives.
· Hear and address concerns from faculty.
Advising, Recruitment, and Student Advocacy
· Investigate, review, mediate, and provide recommendations for resolution of student academic complaints and other classroom-related concerns.
· Support and monitor advising responsibilities for faculty advisors, serving as a program-level advisor to students during the summer months for all programs under purview.
· Direct and coordinate faculty participation in relevant recruitment efforts and events.
· Develop new and maintain current application and admissions processes and policies for programs that require them.
Accountability and Documentation
· Prepare and monitor annual departmental budgets, providing updates to and requesting approval for modifications from the Vice Chancellor for Learning and Instruction, as needed.
· Monitor and supervise timely submission of syllabi, final grades, and other required documents and reports.
· Develop and maintain inventory of laboratory equipment, supplies, subscriptions, and professional memberships, and other recurring expenses, determining emerging and ongoing programmatic needs.
· Ensure that processes, procedures, and practices follow all applicable institutional policies and state and federal regulatory requirements.
· Oversee and maintain accreditation and regulatory compliance in applicable programs, ensuring that programs are compliant and all necessary documentation is accurate and thorough.
· Develop and foster positive relationships with regional employers, leading advisory council meetings and membership and providing oversight of faculty and students engaged in internships to ensure the College is represented positively.
· Maintain list of eligible training programs and associated costs in the Arkansas Consumer Reporting System (ACRS) and Arkansas Job Link Rapidstorm.
Salary: Salary commensurate with education and experience. Competitive benefits package available including retirement; health, life, dental & disability insurance; a flex benefit plan; and educational discounts for employee and family.
Start Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and employment will begin May 22, 2023, and continue until the position is filled.
Please note that ASU Mid-South requires a criminal background check as part of the employment process.
Required Application Materials:
· a letter of interest specifying the position sought,
· a completed ASU Mid-South application for employment including contact information for three professional references who can attest to the candidate’s qualifications for this position,
· a statement of educational philosophy,
· a resume or curriculum vitae, and
· copies of college transcripts relevant to the position of interest.
For an application to be considered, all requested materials must be submitted simultaneously either by mail, email, fax, or personal delivery to:
Arkansas State University Mid-South
ATTN: Human Resources
2000 West Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301-3829
(870) 733-6719 (FAX)
ASU Mid-South and the Arkansas State University System are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers.