General Description: This a full-time, 40 hour per week grant-funded position that includes days, some evening hours, and weekends at ASU Mid-South campus and off-site locations that may include out-of-county travel. Adult Education Instructor teaches GED classes and assists with the Workforce Alliance for Growth in the Economy (WAGE), Integrated Education and Training (IET), and reentry services for program participants. This position reports directly to the Director of Adult Education and Literacy.
Model effective teaching
○ Provide effective instruction for Adult Education students using state-approved best practices; designs and selects classroom activities and lessons which help students progress toward skills achievement; counsels students monthly on their progress;
○ Participate in team teaching and planning as appropriate; maintains order and discipline in the classroom; maintains the integrity of all classroom materials.
○ Establish and uphold classroom routines to ensure a focused, safe and caring environment
○ Analyze assessment data and use it to inform and differentiate your instruction
○ Maintain close relationships with students, including phone calls and conferences
Facilitate WAGE and workforce readiness specific courses
○ Create lesson plans that effectively utilize all materials and resources available to achieve the objectives of the curriculum
○ Evaluates adult understanding of the information and adjusts instruction accordingly
○ Facilitate earning and growth by ensuring program participants are working towards their academic and career goals and reaching standards
○ Motivate learners to actively participate in all aspects of the educational process
○ Document accurate records of attendance, behaviors, and learning progress within all appropriate systems to ensure learners are receiving proper credits or certifications
○ Participates in career technical academic support programs, certification, programs, and student professional organizations
○ Act as a basic-skills instructor as needed for Integrated Education and Training (IET) programs classes
Support curriculum management and development
○ Work in tandem with the Director to ensure fidelity of academic program implementation
○ Review teacher’s managed and open enrollment courses and provide feedback
○ Support the creation and implementation of a culture that fosters a productive and enthusiastic learning environment for each student
○ Select instructional materials that meet programming goals
○ Develop new content and revise existing content to ensure the highest quality product
4. Offer academic support
○ Work with adult learners to develop and maintain their student learning plan
○ Provides college support for 1st-year college students
○ Monitor academic progress and provide individualized academic counseling to help students increase educational functioning levels needed to meet their academic and professional goals.
○ Model and teach effective problem solving, self-advocacy, academic mindset, self-regulation, persistence, and positive behavior to all students on caseload
○ Develop and execute a recruitment and retention plan.
Engages in professional development for job enhancement and growth
○ Attends conferences and/or workshops to learn about developing practices and program requirements.
○ Attends college advisory and registration meetings and other workshops related to student retention and success.
○ Completes the required number of professional hours for program compliance.
Performs other duties as assigned
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in education, administration or related field required. Valid Arkansas Teacher License. If not licensed in Adult Education, the selected applicant must have a master’s degree, obtain licensure in Adult Education within three years of employment, and show progress toward certification annually. Four (4) years’ experience as a teacher or administrator in education or related field at an accredited institution.
Salary: $40,000. Actual salary commensurate with education, experience, and credentials. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled.
Required Application Materials:
Interested applicants should submit (1) a letter of interest and fit for the position; (2) a current resume; (3) three professional references; and (4) a completed ASU Mid-South Employment Application https://www.asumidsouth.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Employment_Application.pdf
For an application to be considered, all requested materials must be submitted simultaneously either by mail, email, fax, or personal delivery to:
Arkansas State University Mid-South
ATTN: Human Resources
2000 West Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301-3829
(870) 733-6719 (FAX)
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Per ASU Board Policy, all employees are required to submit to a pre-employment background check as well as a driver’s license verification.
ASU Mid-South and the Arkansas State University System are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers.