Summary / Objective
Arkansas State University Mid-South (ASU Mid-South) is seeking an experienced professional to serve to serve as the College’s Director of Maintenance. The Director of Maintenance plans, organizes, directs and monitors the activities and operations of the College’s facilities and grounds maintenance and fleet vehicle operations. This is an exempt position that reports to the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership, mentorship, supervision, and training to assigned supervisory and classified staff in buildings, grounds, fleet vehicle, and facilities maintenance and operations.
- Plan, organize, control and direct operations and activities in the preventative, scheduled, and responsive maintenance of all college facilities, utility systems, vehicles, and equipment, including tasks in carpentry, electrical work, HVAC, construction, plumbing, painting, landscaping, and general custodial and maintenance.
- Inspect completed projects for accuracy, completeness, and compliance with established requirements and specifications. Assure that related functions comply with all applicable laws, codes, ordinances, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Assist with the preparation and submission of various statistical and narrative reports, as required, including the long-range facility plan, scheduled maintenance program, Board reports, Chancellor’s Office reports, and other assigned state and federal reports.
- Oversee and coordinate college operations with various contract and construction vendors, including scope and price negotiations.
- Supervise, evaluate, and coordinate the work of assigned personnel; participate in the screening and interview process to hire new employees, recommend transfers, reassignment, and disciplinary action when necessary.
- Establish and maintain systems to train staff to meet performance and safety standards.
- Develop and maintain annual departmental budgets. Review, monitor, and evaluate budgets and financial data of all areas supervised. Control and authorize expenditures in accordance with authorized parameters.
- Maintain blueprints, specifications, and systems plans and drawings.
- Serve on assigned committees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Competencies / Knowledge / Skills & Abilities
- Excellent organizational, analytical, planning, and leadership skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to create and implement innovative and effective solutions to management and operational issues.
- Ability to organize and prioritize job tasks and to oversee a variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Sound judgement and decision-making ability.
- Demonstrated experience in planning, organization, and direction of operations and activities involved in the maintenance and repair of physical facilities, utility systems and equipment.
- Knowledge of the proper methods, techniques, materials, tools, and equipment used in building maintenance, custodial, and landscaping trades
- Knowledge of building construction and maintenance practices and procedures, as well as applicable building codes, ordinances, requirements, regulations, and pertinent federal and state laws and regulatory provisions.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- Knowledge of fiscal management, strategic and facilities planning.
- Ability to recruit, select, supervise, and evaluate employees.
Education and Experience
Technical Certificate or Associate’s Degree in construction management or related field. A minimum of seven (7) years’ increasingly responsible work experience in building and equipment maintenance or related field, with three (3) years’ supervisory experience, preferably in an educational setting.
Salary is commensurate with experience.
Review of applications will begin immediately. Position will remain open until filled. Applications should consist of (1) a detailed cover letter addressing the stated expectations of the position; (2) a current resume; (3) a list of three professional references with contact information and a note explaining the working relationship with each; and (4) a completed ASU Mid-South Employment Application.
Incomplete application packets will not be considered. Please note all employees of Arkansas State University Mid-South are subject to a background check.
Please submit all requested materials to:
Arkansas State University Mid-South
ATTN: Human Resources
2000 West Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301
870-733-6719 (Fax) or email to HumanResources@asumidsouth.edu.
ASU Mid-South and the Arkansas State University System are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers.