ASU Mid-South, a comprehensive community college located just minutes from downtown Memphis, Tennessee, seeks a progressive, student-centered individual to provide instruction in its Diesel Maintenance Technology program to train individuals to fill the growing demand for skilled technicians and mechanics in the transportation industry. ASU Mid-South’s Diesel Maintenance Technology program offers students an opportunity to earn a Certificate of Proficiency in Heavy Truck Diesel Maintenance and a Technical Certificate in Diesel Maintenance Technology, as well as an Associate of Applied Science Degree, that will prepare them to seek rapid entry to employment.
This is a full-time, 12-month position with full college benefits.
Qualifications: Candidate must hold an associate’s degree in diesel maintenance technology or related field, with bachelor’s degree preferred, and at least 5 years of related industry experience. Candidates without an associate’s degree may be considered, but must agree to obtain an appropriate credential within a mutually agreed upon timeframe. Consideration will be given to candidates with greater experience and relevant industry-recognized certifications (i.e. ASE certifications). Candidate must have the ability to read/analyze and interpret blueprints and schematics related to the profession. Previous use of Canvas or another Learning Management System (LMS) is a plus. Preference will be given to candidates with prior teaching or industry training experience. A compelling combination of educational background, work experience, and professional credentials may be considered.
Other qualifications include excellent interpersonal, written and communication skills; a working knowledge of Microsoft applications; and evidence of ongoing commitment to professional development.
Responsibilities: Reports to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Strategic Initiatives and Workforce Education and has responsibility for curriculum, instruction, lab oversight, and industry alignment of the Diesel Maintenance Technology program. Teaching schedule may include evening or weekend hours.
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Teach courses for the Diesel Maintenance Technology program during the fall and spring semesters.
- Deliver instruction to secondary and postsecondary students that aligns with approved ASU Mid-South syllabi and academic standards, supporting student attainment of course- and program-level learning outcomes.
- Build positive relationships with vendors and local transportation/distribution/logistics employers in eastern Arkansas and the Greater Memphis region in support of employer training needs and to foster engagement in program initiatives and the Diesel Maintenance Technology Advisory Council.
- Support development of curriculum in response to Advisory Council input and ensure program alignment with industry-recognized certifications and local industry needs.
- Monitor emerging industry trends and technologies to ensure relevance of Diesel Maintenance Technology curriculum and training aids.
- Maintain accurate attendance and grade records using the College’s Learning Management System.
- Collaborate with relevant grant-sponsored programs to attain grant objectives and support the College’s track record of success with executing federal, state, and privately-funded grant-sponsored initiatives.
- Collaborate with the College’s Business and Industry Services regarding non-credit workforce training and identification of instructors to deliver non-credit training.
- Help maintain equipment and supplies inventory and determine ongoing programmatic and instructional equipment and supply needs.
- Ensure lab areas are clean, well-maintained, and compliant with appropriate safety standards.
- Participate in institutional and programmatic student recruitment and retention initiatives; help to identify methods and markets related to Diesel Maintenance Technology student recruitment.
- Serve as an academic program advisor for students enrolled in the Diesel Maintenance Technology program.
- Participate in SkillsUSA activities and events.
- Understand and comply with College policies and procedures.
- Participate in registration, commencement, and other required activities.
- Serve on College committees, including program advisory committees.
Salary: Salary commensurate with education and experience. Competitive benefits package available including retirement; health, life, dental & disability insurance; a flex benefit plan; and educational discounts for employee and family.
Start Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Please note that ASU Mid-South requires a criminal background check as part of the employment process.
Required Application Materials:
- a letter of interest specifying the position sought,
- a completed ASU Mid-South application for employment, including contact information for three professional references who can attest to the candidate’s qualifications for this position,
- a statement of educational philosophy,
- a resume or curriculum vitae, and
- copies of college transcripts relevant to the position of interest.
For an application to be considered, all requested materials must be submitted simultaneously either by mail, email, fax, or personal delivery to:
Arkansas State University Mid-South
ATTN: Human Resources
2000 West Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301-3829
(870) 733-6719 (FAX)
ASU Mid-South and the Arkansas State University System are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers
Director, Human Resources
Arkansas State University Mid-South
The mission of Arkansas State University Mid-South is to enrich
lives through high quality educational programming that fosters
student success, workforce development, and lifelong learning.