Arkansas State University Mid-South, a comprehensive community college serving Crittenden County, Arkansas, and the greater Memphis area, seeks a dynamic, entrepreneurial Career Services professional to provide career and employment services to students and employers. The successful candidate will have a “builder” mindset and will develop and implement an online career services program and expand work-based learning opportunities, such as internships, for students and employers, in addition to other responsibilities.
The Career Services Specialist will work closely with academic/career advisors, faculty, and staff to guide students in the development of career goals and work ready competencies and to support students as they near credential attainment and program completion, then transition to the workforce. The position reports to the Vice Chancellor for Student Services. A compelling combination of work experience, educational background, and professional credentials may be considered. The position is a full-time, 12-month position with full College benefits.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
Create and administer a robust and innovative Career Services program that fosters student success and job readiness.
- Develop and implement an online Career Services program.
- Conduct career development activities including, but not limited to, career assessments, job readiness workshops, classroom presentations, resume and cover letter preparation, interview techniques, mock interviews, online job search and application processes, and instruction for Career Preparation courses.
- Develop and maintain resources related to career exploration/preparation for use by students, advisors, and faculty.
- Maintain and promote ASU Mid-South’s Virtual Career Center to students and employers.
- Serve as a model of professionalism and integrity to students and to others.
Develop and cultivate relationships that expose students to potential careers and promote job placement.
- Coordinate job fairs and recruiting/hiring events in cooperation with area employers and external organizations.
- Develop and maintain relationships with faculty/staff, employers, workforce system partners, and community organizations to promote increased engagement, work-based learning, and hiring opportunities.
- Coordinate internships and other work-based learning opportunities for students with employers.
Collaborate with campus constituents, as needed, to further Career Services objectives.
- Support and participate in grant-related activities which align with Career Services, coordinating with the Grants Management Office and other appropriate personnel, as designated.
- Work closely with advisors/faculty to assist students seeking job opportunities to balance need for work with academic responsibilities.
- Participate in career and technical program advisory committee meetings to stay informed about workplace current/emerging needs and program developments.
- Collaborate with the ASU Mid-South Marketing team to assure promotion of Career Services events and relevant social media content and to maintain an effective student-facing Career Services web page.
Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of all Career Service initiatives.
- Develop and maintain data collection and tracking processes, analyzing results and feedback from students and employers regarding outreach, trends, and effectiveness of Career Services activities.
- Maintain a comprehensive database of employers, work-based learning opportunities, and job placements.
- Provide updates as requested regarding Career Services activities, developments, and challenges.
Perform other duties as assigned.
- Assist in budget development, participate in professional development activities, serve on appropriate College committees, and perform other duties as assigned in support of Career Services objectives.
Required Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in career services, student services, student affairs, workforce development, counseling, academic advising, education, or other field related to the position.
- Three years’ experience related to the position in working with individuals of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, including those with different levels of academic preparation and varying physical and learning abilities.
- Strong written and oral communication, interpersonal, organizational, and facilitation skills.
- Proficiency in MS applications. Must be able to use Excel and presentation applications at an advanced level. A computer skills test may be a required part of the interview process.
- Ability to work productively and technologically within both a campus-based and a remote environment and pivot between the two.
- Experience in the development of online program content.
- Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed.
Other Desired Qualifications, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience with Canvas Learning Management Platform and/or Starfish Enterprise Success Platform.
- Experience related to career programs/services in a community college, university, or comparable setting.
- Experience related to training/content delivery in a workshop and/or classroom format.
- Knowledge of local and regional employment resources and ability to match students’ needs and skills to appropriate work-based learning and employment opportunities.
- National Career Readiness Certificate (NCRC), silver level or higher.
- One or more professional certifications related to the position.
Salary and Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience and credentials. Competitive benefits package available including retirement; health, life, dental & disability insurance; a flex benefit plan; and educational discounts for employee and family.
Required Application Materials
Interested applicants should submit (1) a letter of interest for the position sought; (2) a completed ASU Mid-South Application for Employment, including contact information for three professional references who can attest to the applicant’s qualifications for the position (https://www.asumidsouth.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Employment_Application.pdf); (3) a resume or curriculum vitae, and (4) copies of College transcripts relevant to the position of interest.
All materials should be submitted to:
Arkansas State University Mid-South
ATTN: Human Resources
2000 West Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301-3829
(870) 733-6799, fax
Only complete application packets will be considered. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. Please note: per ASU Board Policy, all employees are required to submit to a pre-employment background check.
ASU Mid-South and the Arkansas State University System are EEOC/Affirmative Action Employers.