Summary / Objective
Arkansas State University Mid-South is seeking an individual with demonstrated experience in leading developmental, general, and workforce education to serve as its next Vice Chancellor for Learning and Instruction (VCLI). As the College’s Chief Academic Officer, the VCLI reports directly to the Chancellor, serves as a member of the Chancellor’s Executive Cabinet, and has primary responsibility for providing guidance, direction, oversight, and support to all teaching and learning activities of the college.
This individual in this position must be able to work collaboratively with other administrative leaders, the faculty, and with college personnel across all functional areas of the institution to ensure a coordinated campus-wide approach to achieving the college’s strategic priorities. Additionally, the individual will be expected to actively promote quality relationships and strategic partnerships with policy makers, state agencies, business and industry, the community, K12 partners, and other institutions of higher education.
A successful candidate will demonstrate a commitment to shared governance, academic excellence, student success, faculty and staff development, assessment of student learning, continuous quality improvement, innovation, and the use of data to inform decision making. Additionally, a commitment to effective communication, transparency, and a culture of collaboration is an important expectation for this position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide executive leadership for the instructional areas of the college, including managing academic resources, providing budgetary oversight, and interpreting and resolving academic policy issues and complaints.
- Provide recommendations to the chancellor on all academic appointments and oversee all activities related to faculty and academic staff recruitment, development, and support, including the coordination and equitable distribution of faculty assignments and approval of overloads.
- Oversee all matters related to curriculum development and review, ensuring compliance with external regulatory agencies and organizations.
- Provide instructional leadership and support to the college’s Strategic Planning, Enrollment Management, and HLC accreditation processes.
- Provide leadership for on-going program evaluation, faculty evaluation, assessment of student learning, and continuous quality improvement of instructional programs.
- Oversee the timely and efficient development and publication of the academic calendar, college catalog, and schedule of classes.
- Promote innovative approaches to teaching and learning, including best practices for online delivery and the use of effective instructional technology to support student learning.
- Represent the college at meetings of the Arkansas Higher Education Coordinating Board and through active participation in relevant state, regional, or national organizations.
- Cultivate strong relationships with other educational institutions through the development of quality articulation agreements and collaborative secondary and post-secondary partnerships.
- Cultivate partnerships with state agencies, business and industry, and the community in order to support and enhance the college’s ability to fulfill its mission.
- Serve on assigned committees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Competencies / Knowledge / Skills & Abilities
- Excellent organizational, analytical, planning, technology, and leadership skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and an ability to foster a collaborative work environment across all levels of the institution.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to respond to complex or difficult situations and complaints with professionalism, diplomacy, and tact.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage change and to create and implement innovative and effective solutions to management, organizational, and operational challenges.
- Demonstrated understanding of academic policy and the changing competitive landscape of higher education, particularly for community colleges.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines, while maintaining a positive and professional attitude.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize job tasks and to oversee a variety of tasks simultaneously.
- Sound judgement and decision-making ability, including uncompromising integrity and the ability to appropriately handle items of a sensitive or confidential nature.
- Demonstrated sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse backgrounds of community college students and the communities in which they live.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of a Master’s degree (doctorate preferred) from a regionally accredited institution of higher education and a minimum of five years of progressive leadership experience in Academic Affairs.
- Minimum of five years of college level teaching experience, preferably in a community college setting.
- Direct experience in strategic planning; budget management; academic assessment; faculty recruitment and development; curriculum development; institutional and program level accreditation; and personnel evaluation and management.
- Demonstrated experience with institutional and/or program-level accrediting bodies and processes. HLC experience is a plus.
- Willingness to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends as necessary
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Preference given to individuals who can demonstrate prior experience overseeing developmental education, general education, and workforce education programs in a community college setting.
Salary and Benefits
This position provides a competitive salary commensurate with experience and a benefits package that includes paid vacation and sick leave; health, life, dental & disability insurance; a flex benefit plan; a retirement plan; and educational discounts for employees and family.
Required Application Materials
Interested applicants should submit (1) a letter of application, detailing interest and fit for the position; (2) a current curriculum vitae; (3) a college transcript showing highest degree earned; (4) a list of five professional references; and (5) a completed ASU Mid-South Employment Application (https://www.asumidsouth.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Employment_Application.pdf) to the address below:
Arkansas State University Mid-South
ATTN: Human Resources
2000 West Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301
870-733-6719 (fax) or email to email@example.com
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled. Please note: per ASU Board Policy, all employees are required to submit to a pre-employment background check.
ASU Mid-South and the Arkansas State University System are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers.