ASU Mid-South, a comprehensive community college located just minutes from downtown Memphis, Tennessee, seeks a progressive, highly organized, and detail-oriented individual to provide leadership and support to its college-based Secondary Technical Center. ASU Mid-South’s Secondary Technical Center enrolls students from three local school districts in Crittenden County, Arkansas, and provides them with an opportunity to receive occupational training in a variety of high-skill technical programs and to earn associated post-secondary academic credentials and industry-recognized certifications.
This is a full-time, 12-month position with full college benefits.
Qualifications: Candidates must hold at least a Master’s degree in Educational Administration/ Leadership, Career and Technical Education or CTE discipline, or related area. Preference will be given to candidates with prior administration, teaching, or student services experience and a student-centered educational philosophy that focuses on student learning and success. Previous use of Canvas or another Learning Management System (LMS) is a plus. A compelling combination of educational background, work experience, and professional credentials may be considered.
The successful candidate must demonstrate the ability to initiate, lead, and manage, yet be coachable and collaborative regarding administrative, operational, and communication processes. Other desired traits and qualifications include teaming well with others; excellent interpersonal, written, and communication skills; evidence of ongoing commitment to professional development; and proficiency in the use of Microsoft applications.
Experience: Minimum of 5 years’ experience working in secondary and/or postsecondary education, with additional consideration given to candidates who have working knowledge of FERPA laws and State of Arkansas regulations that are applicable to career and technical education and/or secondary education. Experience in budget creation, management, analysis, and forecasting; calendaring and documentation of student and programmatic activities; development of reports in compliance with state guidelines; development of articulation and collaboration agreements with external education entities. Secondary and/or community college teaching experience is a plus.
Responsibilities: This position reports to the Dean of Workforce Education. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following: (1) effective and efficient operation of the ASU Mid-South Secondary Technical Center as an internal department of the College and in collaboration with other College departments and personnel; (2) following communication protocols with and maintaining positive relationships with the Office of Skills Development (OSD), the Arkansas Division of Career and Technical Education (DCTE), and partner high schools; and (3) keeping ASU Mid-South administration informed of key dates, important issues, new developments, and state regulations.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following items:
- Support and model compliance of Secondary Technical Center policies, procedures, and instructor credentials with DCTE/OSD policies, procedures, and requirements; stay abreast of and communicate state-level regulatory guidelines, requirements, and mandates issued by DCTE/OSD.
- Develop required DCTE/OSD reports and follow internal and state requirements for review, submission, and archival.
- Coordinate and communicate DCTE/OSD technical assistance site visits; disseminate site visit reports and action items to College administration.
- Develop program/funding requests and new course code requests for submission to DCTE/OSD.
- Participate in state-level Secondary Technical Center Director meetings.
- Initiate and coordinate the development and revision of annual MOUs with Secondary Technical Center partner high schools.
- Initiate and contribute to annual revisions of the Concurrent Student Handbook.
- Assist with planning of and facilitate bi-annual Secondary Technical Center Council meetings with school district and high school administrators.
- Track Secondary Technical Center student academic progression and credential attainment; create and maintain datasets to help inform strategic, programmatic, and budget planning.
- Communicate with partner high schools and College personnel regarding bus schedules, school closings, student academic progress, student attendance, and disciplinary issues, following approved processes.
- Adhere to the College’s policies and procedures to issue student disciplinary sanctions, perform academic interventions, and maintain accurate and comprehensive student disciplinary records.
- Present timely information and updates regarding Secondary Technical Center operations and activities during Workforce Education faculty and staff meetings.
- Coordinate and assist in the registration of Secondary Technical Center students.
- Assist in the creation of Secondary Technical Center course scheduling.
- Compile weekly grade and attendance reports for distribution to partner high schools.
- Assist in the development of Secondary Technical Center administration and programmatic budgets.
- Team with Workforce Education Administrative Analyst regarding Secondary Technical Center bookstore operations, including ordering, inventory, and check-in/check-out processes.
- Conduct new student orientation sessions each fall in partnership with Enrollment Services staff.
- Assist with student activities and recruitment initiatives.
- Create, update, and provide access to a Secondary Technical Center calendar, to include key dates, events, and activities
- Coordinate and provide internal notifications regarding Secondary Technical Center tours for prospective students, district personnel, and others, as needed.
- Deliver Secondary Technical Center presentations to students, faculty/staff, and administrators of partner school districts and to other external entities; represent the Secondary Technical Center at community events and local school district functions.
- Provide administration oversight of the SkillsUSA student organization and integration within Secondary Technical Center programs of study, coordination of internal competition(s) and other related activities, and travel with students to state and national competitions and leadership events.
- Source and requisition supplies, materials, and other items, as needed.
- Assume other duties as required.
Salary: $50,000 with full college benefits. Competitive benefits package available including retirement; health, life, dental & disability insurance; a flex benefit plan; and educational discounts for employee and family.
Start Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Please note that ASU Mid-South requires a criminal background check as part of the employment process.
Required Application Materials:
- a letter of interest specifying the position sought,
- a completed ASU Mid-South application for employment including contact information for three professional references who can attest to the candidate’s qualifications for this position,
- a statement of educational philosophy,
- a resume or curriculum vitae, and
- copies of college transcripts relevant to the position of interest.
For an application to be considered, all requested materials must be submitted simultaneously either by mail, email, fax, or personal delivery to:
Arkansas State University Mid-South
ATTN: Jackie Leech
2000 West Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301-3829
(870) 733-6719 (FAX)