ASU Mid-South, a comprehensive community college located just minutes from downtown Memphis, Tennessee, seeks a progressive, energetic, highly organized, and detail-oriented individual to provide leadership and initiative in its existing Respiratory Therapy program to train individuals to fill the demand for Registered Respiratory Therapists in the greater Memphis medical community. ASU Mid-South’s Respiratory Therapy program offers students an opportunity to earn an Associate of Applied Science Degree in Respiratory Therapy.
Qualifications: Master’s degree in a health related field; Associate’s degree in Respiratory Therapy from a regionally accredited college or university; licensure in Respiratory Care in good standing from the Arkansas Medical Board and verifiable Registration as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) from the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC); minimum of five years’ experience as a Registered Respiratory Therapist, with at least two of these years in clinical respiratory care; minimum of two years’ teaching in an accredited respiratory care program either as an appointed faculty member or clinical preceptor. Out-of-state applicants will be expected to reciprocate and maintain licensure in Arkansas if selected for the position. At least three years’ prior teaching experience with adult learners, preferably at a community college, and proficiency in Microsoft applications software. Previous use of Canvas or another Learning Management System (LMS) is a plus.
Ability to read/analyze and interpret common reports and legal documents related to the Respiratory profession. Applicant must exhibit excellent interpersonal, written and communication skills.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily, either with or without special accommodations. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Position is 12-months, full-time, and benefits eligible. Reports to the Dean of Workforce Education with responsibility for curriculum development and revision, instruction, course scheduling, clinical oversight, academic advising, and the assessment of student learning. Maintaining program accreditation and compliance with the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC) published Standards is a programmatic and institutional priority. Teaching schedule may include evening or weekend hours.
Duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Understand the Standards of and ensure compliance with the Commission on Accreditation for Respiratory Care (CoARC).
- Develop and submit required reports, such as the Continuing Self-Study Report (CSSR), to the program’s accrediting body, and lead efforts to attain an Initial Affirmation of Continuing Accreditation status for the program.
- Develop curriculum in response to program Advisory Committee input and ensure program alignment with professional certifications/licensures and local health care employer and service provider needs.
- Build positive relationships with vendors, local health care employers, and service providers in support of their workforce training needs.
- Develop appropriate and effective assessment strategies to measure student learning, and support student attainment of course- and program-level learning outcomes.
- Teach 15 to 18 credit hours per semester or an equivalent schedule of instruction and curriculum development. (schedule may include some evening or weekend hours)
- Schedule RRT examinations with the National Board for Respiratory Care for qualifying students.
- Maintain a tracking system of student course and program completion rates, licensure testing attempts, and licensure pass rates.
- Keep College administration abreast of program successes and challenges and accreditation site visits, communication, and action items.
- Identify clinical sites, execute agreements for students’ clinical experiences and externships, and regularly monitor student assignments.
- Schedule courses for the Respiratory Therapy program during the Fall, Spring, and Summer semesters.
- Maintain laboratory equipment and ensure its use meets industry needs and standards.
- Order laboratory supplies and maintain an inventory that meets programmatic instructional needs.
- Serve as an academic advisor for students enrolled in the Respiratory Therapy program.
- Maintain accurate and timely attendance and grade records using the College’s LMS.
- Participate in professional development that supports assigned responsibilities.
- Participate in registration, commencement, and other required activities.
- Participate in institutional and programmatic recruitment and retention initiatives.
- Understand and comply with College policies and procedures.
- Assist in the recruitment, supervision, and mentoring of additional program faculty.
- Serve on College committees, including program advisory committees.
- Assume other duties as required.
Salary: Salary commensurate with education and experience. Competitive benefits package available including retirement; health, life, dental & disability insurance; a flex benefit plan; and educational discounts for employee and family.
Start Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled.
Please note that ASU Mid-South requires a criminal background check as part of the employment process.
Required Application Materials:
- a letter of interest specifying the position sought,
- a completed ASU Mid-South application for employment including contact information for three professional references who can attest to the candidate’s qualifications for this position,
- a statement of educational philosophy,
- a resume or curriculum vitae, and
- copies of college transcripts relevant to the position of interest.
For an application to be considered, all requested materials must be submitted simultaneously either by mail, email, fax, or personal delivery to:
- Arkansas State University Mid-South
- ATTN: Jackie Leech
- 2000 West Broadway
- West Memphis, AR 72301-3829
- (870) 733-6719 (FAX)
- email@example.com (e-mail)