General Description: This a full-time, 40 hour per week grant-funded position that includes days and some evening hours at ASU Mid-South campus and off-site locations that may include out-of-county travel and correctional facilities. The Literacy Specialist is responsible for planning, coordinating, and implementing a comprehensive literacy program which facilitates learning; models effective teaching which use literacy-based learning strategies; coaches instructors in all curriculum areas on how to enhance students’ literacy skills; identifies staff development needs of the Adult Education Center and the Literacy Council of Crittenden County. This position reports directly to the Director of Adult Education and Literacy
Model effective teaching
○ Provides effective instruction for Adult Education students using state-approved best practices; designs and selects classroom activities and lessons which help students progress toward skills achievement; counsels students monthly on their progress;
○ Participates in team teaching and planning as appropriate; maintains order and discipline in the classroom; maintains the integrity of all classroom materials.
○ Establish and uphold classroom routines to ensure a focused, safe and caring environment
○ Analyze assessment data and use it to inform and differentiate your instruction
○ Maintain close relationships with students, including phone calls and conferences
Support faculty and curriculum development:
○ Evaluate literacy needs within various subject areas and collaborate with instructors to interpret, use assessment data to improve instruction, and problem solve
○ Create a literacy environment conducive to effective instruction
○ Facilitate instruction based on current reading/study/thinking research throughout the total instructional program
○ Assist instructors with an analysis of formal and informal assessment data on their students to determine student response to instruction
○ Provide, upon request, individual diagnostic testing
○ Assist teachers with planning, sequencing, and scaffolding of instruction
○ Participate in team reviews concerning academic progress of at-risk students who are not responding to interventions
Coordinate disability services for Adult Education and Literacy students:
○ Ensure that disability services are compliant with federal and state regulations
○ Connect students with appropriate academic and testing accommodations
○ Communicate with faculty and staff about required accommodations for students, and ensure these accommodations are provided
○ Advocate for students with disabilities as appropriate
○ Review policies and procedures related to disability services to enhance the quality of these services and improve efficiency
○ Collect, monitor, and analyze data related to disability services to evaluate the effectiveness
Manage the Literacy Council of Crittenden County programming and services
○ Oversee the recruitment, enrollment, orientation, and support of program participants and volunteers.
○ Enter student data into LACES database (intake, progress, post-test).
○ Identify curriculum materials for each student and assemble tutoring materials.
○ Monitor student progress and follow-up with students as needed.
○ Maintain resource room, book inventory, support materials.
Engages in professional development for job enhancement and growth
○ Attends conferences and workshops to learn about developing practices and program requirements.
○ Attends college advisory and registration meetings and other workshops related to student retention and success.
○ Completes the required number of professional hours for program compliance.
Performs other duties as assigned
Qualifications: Master’s degree in education, administration or related field required. Valid Arkansas Teacher License. If not licensed in Adult Education, the selected applicant must obtain licensure within three years of employment and show progress toward certification annually. Five (5) years’ experience as a teacher or administrator in education or related field.
Salary: $37,500; Commensurate with education, experience, and credentials. Competitive benefit package is available including retirement; health, life, dental and disability insurance; a flex benefit plan; and educational waivers and discounts for employee and family.
Start Date: May 13, 2019. Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Please note that ASU Mid-South requires a criminal background check as part of the employment process.
Application Process: Please provide a letter of interest in the position sought; a resume or curriculum vitae, a completed ASU Mid-South application for employment including contact information for three professional references; a copy of Arkansas teacher’s licensure. Please forward these documents to email@example.com.