General Description: This a full-time, 40 hour per week grant-funded position that includes days and some evening hours at ASU Mid-South campus and off-site locations that may include out-of-county travel. This position reports directly to the Director of Adult Education and Literacy. The Literacy Specialist is responsible for planning, coordinating, and implementing a comprehensive literacy program which facilitates learning; models effective teaching which uses literacy-based learning strategies; coaches instructors in all curriculum areas on how to enhance students’ literacy skills; identifies staff development needs of the Adult Education Center and the Literacy Council of Crittenden County.
- Model effective teaching
○ Provide effective instruction for Adult Education students using state-approved best practices; designs and selects classroom activities and lessons which help students progress toward skills achievement; counsels students monthly on their progress;
○ Participate in team teaching and planning as appropriate; maintains order and discipline in the classroom; maintains the integrity of all classroom materials.
○ Establish and uphold classroom routines to ensure a focused, safe and caring environment
○ Analyze assessment data and use it to inform and differentiate your instruction
○ Maintain close relationships with students, including phone calls and conferences
- Support faculty and curriculum development:
○ Evaluate literacy needs within various subject areas and collaborate with instructors to interpret, use assessment data to improve instruction, and problem solve
○ Create a literacy environment conducive to effective instruction
○ Facilitate instruction based on current reading/study/thinking research throughout the total instructional program
○ Assist instructors with an analysis of formal and informal assessment data on their students to determine student response to instruction
○ Provide, upon request, individual diagnostic testing
○ Assist teachers with planning, sequencing, and scaffolding of instruction
○ Participate in team reviews concerning academic progress of at-risk students who are not responding to interventions
- Coordinate disability services for Adult Education and Literacy students:
○ Ensure that disability services are compliant with federal and state regulations
○ Connect students with appropriate academic and testing accommodations
○ Communicate with faculty and staff about required accommodations for students, and ensure these accommodations are provided
○ Advocate for students with disabilities as appropriate
○ Review policies and procedures related to disability services to enhance the quality of these services and improve efficiency
○ Collect, monitor, and analyze data related to disability services to evaluate the effectiveness
- Support the Literacy Council of Crittenden County programming and services
○ Oversee the enrollment, orientation, and support of program participants and volunteers.
○ Enter student data into LACES database (intake, progress, post-test).
○ Identify curriculum materials for each student and assemble tutoring materials.
○ Monitor student progress and follow-up with students as needed.
○ Maintain resource room, book inventory, support materials.
- Engage in professional development for job enhancement and growth
○ Attend conferences and workshops to learn about developing practices and program requirements.
○ Attend college advisory and registration meetings and other workshops related to student retention and success.
○ Complete the required number of professional hours for program compliance.
- Perform other duties as assigned
Qualifications: Bachelor degree with a valid Teacher License or Master’s degree in education, administration or related field with five (5) years of K-12 or college teaching experience. If not licensed in Adult Education, the selected applicant must obtain licensure within three years of employment and show progress toward certification annually.
Start Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Salary: $37,500 – 40,000, commensurate with education, experience, and credentials.
How to Apply: Email cover letter, resume, and employment application to:
Arkansas State University Mid-South