ASU Mid-South, a comprehensive community college located just minutes from downtown Memphis, Tennessee, seeks a highly organized, results-driven, and service-oriented individual with a passion for workforce development and lifelong learning to lead its non-credit workforce training and community education operations. The College is expanding non-credit training and education opportunities to benefit area employers and the community, including customized training for business and industry, professional certification courses for career advancement, and career development and personal enrichment courses for the community. Reporting to the Associate Vice Chancellor of Workforce and Strategic Initiatives, the Director of Workforce Training and Community Education is also uniquely positioned to participate in various workforce grant initiatives and other strategic initiatives.
This is a full-time, 12-month position with full College benefits. A compelling combination of educational background, work experience, and professional credentials may be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree in workforce development, business administration, community development, operations management, training and development, or industry-related field. Master’s degree preferred.
- Five years of related work experience, preferably in industry or an education/training environment.
- Accounting and financial analytical skills and experience, to include budgeting, pricing, contracting, forecasting, and reconciliation.
- Ability to effectively organize and maintain a variety of records and data tracking processes in an electronic documentation system.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Outlook, Word, and PowerPoint. A skills assessment may be required.
- Ability to productively shift between campus operations and remote work.
- Ability to periodically monitor course and training delivery outside of standard work hours.
- Ability to travel to various training, work, and other sites and to attend meetings within and outside the College’s service area.
ADDITIONAL DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- Community college experience.
- Demonstrated experience in customer service/outreach and in developing/sustaining successful partnerships.
- Knowledge of area employers and industry sectors and emerging business/industry developments.
- Demonstrated understanding of area workforce challenges and employer expectations and needs.
- Experience in grant administration, particularly workforce or career/technical education grants.
- State of Arkansas Office of Skills Development (OSD) Workforce Training Grant application development experience; successful funding history is a plus.
- Canvas Learning Management System experience.
- Ellucian Banner ERP experience, particularly the Finance and Student functions.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Provide direction, leadership, and operational management of the College’s non-credit training and courses.
- Remain current regarding trends, news, and legislation relevant to area workforce and economic development initiatives
- Develop and monitor a growth-based, quality-focused departmental plan which supports the College’s mission and strategic goals.
- Participate in grant initiatives and other strategic initiatives, as requested.
Outreach and Partnerships
- Assess regional training needs of employers and develop/deliver high-quality training programs that are responsive to those needs.
- Engage with employers at regularly recurring intervals to determine and document company developments, hiring projections, and training needs.
- Seek opportunities to inform employers and the community of non-credit services, training, and courses through presentations to civic and community groups and participation in external activities.
- Initiate and participate in the marketing of services, programs, and courses, including promotional materials, course schedules, and the department web page.
- Collaborate with Career Services in providing eligible students with work-based learning and employment opportunities.
- Participate in Advisory Council meetings of credit workforce programs.
- Manage non-credit operational processes in a thorough and timely manner and in collaboration with appropriate College departments and personnel.
- Coordinate data collection related to feasibility and relevance of potential non-credit program and course offerings.
- Develop and maintain a current database of appropriately credentialed instructors and third-party subject matter experts, both internal and external, for non-credit instruction.
- Provide oversight for the activities and training/course delivery of contracted instructors.
- Develop and implement course/program evaluation tools; apply continuous improvement strategies as needed; monitor progress and outcomes to ensure client satisfaction.
- Develop schedules for non-credit courses to align with the fall, spring, and summer terms and collaborate with Marketing personnel regarding publication and distribution.
- Provide timely responses to inquiries and requests for information.
Salary: Commensurate with education and experience. Full college benefits, including retirement; health, life, dental & disability insurance; a flex benefit plan; and tuition waivers for employee and family.
Start Date: The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until position is filled. Required application documents include (1) a detailed cover letter which addresses the applicant’s fit for the position; (2) a current resume or curriculum vitae; (3) a list of three professional references with contact information and an explanation of the working relationship with each; (4) a completed ASU Mid-South Employment Application, and (5) college transcripts.
ATTN: Human Resources
Arkansas State University Mid-South
2000 W. Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301
(870) 733-6719, fax
The ASU Mid-South Employment Application is available via the following link:
ASU Mid-South and the Arkansas State University System are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers.