Arkansas State University Mid-South, a comprehensive community College serving Crittenden County, Arkansas, and the greater Memphis area, seeks an energetic, collaborative, and student-focused professional to provide career and employment services to students, faculty, staff, and employer clients in the development of career education, career identification and search, and pursuit of employment opportunities. The Career Services Specialist (CSS) will work in close coordination with academic and career advisors, faculty, and staff to guide individual students and cohorts of students toward the development of career goals and competencies and to support students transitioning to the workforce as they near credential attainment and program completion. The CSS will enhance student and employer client connections through interactive experiences and ASU Mid-South’s Virtual Career Center. This position reports to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Strategic Initiatives and Workforce Education. A compelling combination of educational background, work experience, and professional credentials may be considered in the identification of the successful candidate. The position is a full-time, 12-month position with full College benefits.
· Bachelor’s degree in career services, student services, student affairs, workforce development, counseling, academic advising, education, or related field.
· Five years’ experience in career counseling and job placement for College/adult populations, which demonstrates progressive leadership and significant responsibility in strategic planning and collaboration with employers and internal teams.
· Proficient technology skills in MS applications. Must be able to use Excel at an advanced level. A computer skills test may be a required part of the interview process.
· Strong written and oral communication, interpersonal, organizational, and facilitation skills.
· Demonstrated ability to work independently and also to coordinate and collaborate with multiple internal and external teams.
· Willingness to work evenings and weekends as needed.
· Master’s degree in career services, student services, student affairs, workforce development, counseling, academic advising, education, or related field.
· Experience and progressive leadership in a community College, university, or comparable setting related to career exploration and provision of career programs and services.
· One or more professional certifications related to the position.
· Experience related to training/content delivery in a workshop and/or classroom format.
· Significant knowledge of local and regional employment resources and ability to match students’ needs and skills to appropriate employment.
· Experience in working with individuals of diverse socioeconomic, cultural, and ethnic backgrounds, including those with different levels of academic preparation and varying physical and learning abilities.
· Engage Career Services as a vital, collaborative component of an integrated College priority to provide career-focused activities and services for students.
· Conduct career development activities including, but not limited to, career assessments, job readiness workshops, classroom presentations, resume and cover letter preparation, interview techniques, mock interviews, and online job search and application processes.
· Coordinate career expos and job fairs in cooperation with external organizations.
· Schedule and promote recruiting and hiring events by area employers.
· Develop and maintain relationships with faculty, employers, and community organizations to promote increased engagement and work-based learning and hiring opportunities.
· Organize, coordinate, and evaluate internships and other work-based learning opportunities for students with local business and industry.
· Provide instruction for career preparation courses.
· Develop and maintain a repository of print and electronic resources related to career exploration and preparation for use by students, advisors, and faculty.
· Maintain and promote ASU Mid-South’s Virtual Career Center to students and employers.
· Create and maintain a comprehensive database of employers, service learning and work-based learning opportunities, and job placements.
· Work closely with advisors/faculty to assist students seeking part-time job opportunities to balance need for work with academic responsibilities.
· Develop and maintain data capture and tracking processes, analyzing results to quantify outreach, identify trends, and use data to inform decisions, goals, and strategic planning related to Career Services.
· Track student job placement and maintain supporting student and employer information to facilitate follow-up, contribute to College employment tracking, and generate reports.
· Prioritize improvement and effectiveness of Career Services activities and work readiness of ASU Mid-South students by administering surveys and seeking feedback from employers and after events such as workshops, classroom presentations, and career expos.
· Participate in career and technical program advisory committee meetings to stay informed about workplace current and emerging needs, curricular objectives, and program developments.
· Collaborate with the ASU Mid-South Marketing team to assure promotion of Career Services events and relevant social media content, and to maintain the Career Services web page to effectively assist and serve students, advisors, faculty, and employers.
· Serve as a model of professionalism and integrity to students and to other internal and external constituents.
· Update supervisor at designated intervals and as needed regarding Career Services activities, developments, and challenges, participating in meetings as requested and requesting guidance when needed.
· Assist in budget development, participate in professional development activities, serve on appropriate College committees, and perform other duties as assigned in support of Career Services objectives.
Salary: $50,000 with full College benefits. Not negotiable. Competitive benefits package available including retirement; health, life, dental & disability insurance; a flex benefit plan; and educational discounts for employee and family.
Start Date: Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Please note that ASU Mid-South requires a criminal background check as part of the employment process.
Required Application Materials:
· a letter of interest specifying the position sought,
· a completed ASU Mid-South application for employment including contact information for three professional references who can attest to the candidate’s qualifications for this position,
· a resume or curriculum vitae, and
· copies of College transcripts relevant to the position of interest.
For an application to be considered, all requested materials must be submitted simultaneously either by mail, email, fax, or personal delivery to:
Arkansas State University Mid-South
ATTN: Jackie Leech
2000 West Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301-3829
(870) 733-6719 (FAX)