Arkansas State University Mid-South, a comprehensive community college serving Crittenden County, Arkansas, and the greater Memphis area, seeks a full-time instructor for its FAA-certificated Aviation Maintenance Technician School (AMTS). The successful candidate will be a forward-thinking, process-oriented advocate of the aviation maintenance industry and vital member of the AMTS instructional team, as the AMTS strives to expand its capacity and significantly increase the number of certificated Airframe and Powerplant (A&P) mechanics to support the workforce needs of the aviation maintenance industry. This is a full-time, 12-month position with full college benefits.
· Associate Degree in Aviation Maintenance Technology or related technical service field**; AND
· Current FAA Mechanic Certificate with both Airframe and Powerplant ratings; AND
· A minimum of five years’ full-time experience in the aircraft maintenance industry and/or exercising the privileges of both the Airframe and Powerplant mechanic certificate ratings as indicated by 14 CFR Part 65.83.
· A minimum of three years’ experience in delivering instruction/training related to the aviation maintenance industry.
· Knowledge of FAA Part 147 federal regulations for Aviation Maintenance Technician Schools
(14 CFR 147 / AC 147-3B).
· Knowledge of all aircraft powerplants and systems, including pistons engine, turbine engines, private and commercial airlines, and fixed base operators.
· Knowledge of FAA-required General, Airframe, and Powerplant subjects, Operations Manual, Curriculum Manual, practical projects, examinations, oral and practical tests for students, and requirements for maintaining compliant student records.
· Ability to exhibit excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
· Working knowledge of MS Office Suite applications.
*A compelling combination of educational background, work experience, and professional credentials may be considered, including relevant, prior military experience.
**Related technical service field is one which specializes in complex mechanical, electrical, vehicular, or transportation systems. The Dean of Workforce Education, in consultation with current AMTS faculty, will determine the applicability of a particular related technical service field.
Reports to the Dean of Workforce Education with collaborative responsibility for the curriculum, instruction, lab oversight, and industry alignment of the Aviation Maintenance Technical School. Maintaining FAA certification and Part 147 AMTS compliance is a programmatic and institutional priority. Teaching schedule may include evening or weekend hours.
· Teach FAA-required subjects related to General, Airframe, and Powerplant ratings in an FAA Part 147 program and a college undergraduate credit model and maintain course/student records, as required.
· Adhere to FAA Part 147 program regulations and processes to help ensure program compliance, including those related to student files, student attendance, and make-up time for work missed; help maintain FAA certification.
· Maintain orderly classroom/lab processes, ensuring that students are on task and actively engaged in learning and that students are being prepared to meet the expectations of a real-world work environment.
· Assist in maintaining aircraft, equipment, tools, supplies, and instructional aids and in determining ongoing programmatic and instructional needs.
· Monitor emerging industry trends and technologies to ensure relevance of the AMTS curriculum and training aids.
· Participate in revisions of the FAA-approved Operations Manual, Curriculum Manual, and other AMT documents, providing responses, information, and actions as requested and in a responsive and timely manner.
· Support a culture of student learning and student success by serving as a program advisor for enrolled students and potential students of the AMTS.
· Assess student learning and implement strategies that help students attain course- and program-level learning outcomes and support improvement of instruction.
· Participate in institutional and programmatic recruitment and retention initiatives; demonstrate leadership by helping to identify methods and markets related to AMTS student recruitment.
· Represent the AMTS through service to the College, including participation in College committees and activities.
· Participate in AMTS faculty/staff meetings; Workforce division technical faculty/staff meetings; other campus faculty/staff meetings, as teaching schedules allow; and AMTS advisory council meetings.
· Help to build and sustain positive relationships with area employers and vendors in support of the AMTS.
· Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to professional growth and development.
· Participate in internal workshops and training opportunities to learn ASU Mid-South processes related to student advising, the student information system, and electronic data/files management.
· Participate in commencement, student advising and registration, and other required activities.
· Understand and comply with College policies and procedures.
· Assume responsibility for other duties which may be assigned.
Additional Desirable Qualifications
· Teaching experience in a Part 147 school.
· Teaching experience in a community college.
· Previous use of Canvas or another Learning Management System (LMS).
· History of upgrading aviation maintenance skills.
· Possession of a current Inspection Authorization.
· FAA-Designated Mechanic Examiner.
The salary is commensurate with education and experience. A competitive benefits package is available including retirement; health, life, dental & disability insurance; a flex benefit plan; and educational discounts for employee and family.
The anticipated start date is July 1, 2019. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled.
Required Application Materials
· A cover letter detailing interest and fit for the position sought.
· A completed ASU Mid-South Application for Employment, including contact information and affiliation for three professional references who can attest to the candidate’s qualifications for this position.
· A statement of educational philosophy.
· A current resume or curriculum vitae.
· Copies of college transcripts relevant to the position of interest.
Please note that ASU Mid-South requires a criminal background check as part of the employment process.
For an application to be considered, all requested materials must be submitted simultaneously either by mail, email, fax, or personal delivery to:
Arkansas State University Mid-South
ATTN: Jackie Leech
Director of Human Resources
2000 West Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301-3829
(870) 733-6719 (FAX)