This is a full-time, 12-month, grant-funded position with full college benefits.
Supervisor: Associate Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Management.
1. Bachelor’s degree, with preference given to candidates with prior experience working in college admissions or in a public school environment.
2. Working knowledge of Microsoft applications.
3. Ability to work effectively with diverse student populations.
4. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
4. Ability to execute responsibilities with minimal supervision.
5. Ability to be flexible and handle multiple tasks.
6. Ability to work with a large case load of students with face to face interventions and record keeping.
7. Sufficient organizational skills to plan, document, and evaluate initiatives for continuous improvement. 8. Must be able to pass a criminal background check.
9. Complete the online training modules for the Facilitating Career Development certification.
General Job Description: While the services of the identified Career Coach will be available to any Arkansan, the Career Coach will specifically target those students who are most in need of career planning. The Career Coach will work directly with students from Crittenden County School Districts. One of the specific targets will be students from low-income backgrounds. The Career Coach will identify these students through their middle/high schools and encourage them to aspire to postsecondary education, workforce training and/or apprenticeships as the means to a career that will afford economic self-sufficiency. The Career Coach will work with students in junior high and high schools to identify career pathways. Career Coaches are responsible for assisting students with the completion of financial aid documents and scholarship applications, developing individual career and educational plans, providing students with information on possible careers and career pathways, and connecting students with job shadowing, mentoring, and internship opportunities. Travel in Crittenden County is required. This position is contingent upon continued funding of the grant.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
• Accurately and consistently collect data for the purposes of the Arkansas Works Career Coach program and effectively report data in a timely manner for tracking and documenting the successes of the program.
• Providing early outreach to low-income students with information about the importance of postsecondary education, as well as accurate information on how to prepare, apply, and pay for it.
• Providing interest inventories and skills assessments to assist individuals in making informed career decisions.
• Facilitating the development of individual career plans and portfolios.
• Assisting students with enrolling in education and/or training programs.
• Providing information on careers, career pathways, and educational requirements. Providing opportunities for job shadowing, mentoring, internships, visits to business and industry, and other career awareness activities.
• Providing or connecting low-income students to support services that will ease the transition to postsecondary education.
• Connecting educationally-disadvantaged students to “bridge programs” that teach basic academic skills in the context of training for advancement to better jobs and postsecondary education.
• Connecting students to academic enrichment activities such as study groups, tutoring, and workshops on study skills.
• Providing a continuum of career guidance to ease the transition from middle school to high school to postsecondary education or training and ultimately to the workplace.
• Evaluating program and task effectiveness, assessing outcomes, and developing improved processes to achieve goals.
Other duties, which relate to the mission and goals of the Arkansas Works program, may be assigned, including, but not limited to, Summer Bridge programs, ACCUPLACER placement testing, career assessments, and working with concurrent high school students.
Proposed Salary: $35,000 with full college benefits. ASU Mid-South offers a benefit package that includes retirement; health, life, dental & disability insurance; a flex benefit plan; and tuition waivers for employee and family.
Proposed Start Date: August 1, 2019. A review of applications has begun and will continue until the position is filled.
APPLICATION PROCESS: To apply for this position please provide a completed ASU Mid-South Application for Employment (available from our website), with three professional references, a letter of interest in the position, and your resume. Please forward these documents to email@example.com.
ASU Mid-South and the Arkansas State University System are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers