General Description: This a full-time, 40 hour per week grant-funded position that includes days, some evening and weekend hours at ASU-Mid-South campus and off-site locations that may include out-of-county travel and correctional facilities. The Assistant Director supports the Director in managing the program’s faculty, curriculum, enrollment, instruction, courses, and testing. This position reports directly to the Director of Adult Education and Literacy.
- Model effective teaching
○ Provides effective instruction for Adult Education students using state-approved best practices; designs and selects classroom activities and lessons which help students progress toward skills achievement; counsels students monthly on their progress;
○ Participates in team teaching and planning as appropriate; maintains order and discipline in the classroom; maintains the integrity of all classroom materials.
○ Establish and uphold classroom routines to ensure a focused, safe and caring environment
○ Analyze assessment data and use it to inform and differentiate your instruction
○ Maintain close relationships with students, including phone calls and conferences
- Develop and support faculty
○ Oversee the comprehensive onboarding of new faculty
○ Manage faculty class assignments
○ Lead instructional staff to improve teaching quickly and measurably through instructional observations, on-the-spot coaching data conversations.
○ Lead collaborative groups and professional learning communities that use summative, interim, and formative data (i.e. Faculty Meetings, Weekly Data Talks)
○ Monitor the faculty’s use of instructional assessments (TABE, BEST, GED Ready)
○ Assist faculty in the use of formative assessment practices to improve student learning and inform instruction
- Support program management and development
○ Work in tandem with the Director to ensure fidelity of academic program implementation
○ Review teacher’s managed and open enrollment courses and provide feedback
○ Support the creation and implementation of a culture that fosters a productive and enthusiastic learning environment for each student
○ Select instructional materials that meet programming goals
○ Develops new content and revise existing content to ensure the highest quality product
○ Provide research based decision making and monitoring for Adult Secondary Education/GED, Adult Basic Education, Distance Learning, Integrated Education and Training, Workplace learning, and English as a Second Language (ESL) services.
- As an instructional leader, acquire knowledge of and work to support and achieve the goals outlined by ASU Mid-South and the Adult Education Section of the Arkansas Division of Workforce Services.
○ Engages in professional development for job enhancement and growth
○ Attends conferences and/or workshops to learn about developing practices and program requirements.
○ Attends college advisory, registration meetings, and other workshops related to student retention and success.
○ Completes the required number of professional hours for program compliance.
- Performs other duties as assigned
Education – Master’s degree in education, administration or related field required. Valid Arkansas Teacher License. If not licensed in Adult Education, the selected applicant must obtain licensure within three years of employment and show progress toward certification annually.
Experience: Five (5) years’ experience as a K-12 or Adult Education teacher or administrator in education or related field.
Knowledge: Demonstrated knowledge of adult learning theory. Knowledge of WIOA mandates. Familiarity with Division of Workforce Services, Adult Education Section Policies and Procedures
Salary: $50,000 with Full College Benefits
Required Application Materials:
Interested applicants should submit (1) a letter of application, detailing interest and fit for the position; (2) a current resume; (3) a college transcript showing highest degree earned; (4) a list of three professional references; and (5) a completed ASU Mid-South Employment Application (https://www.asumidsouth.edu/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Employment_Application.pdf) to the address below:
Arkansas State University Mid-South
ATTN: Human Resources
2000 West Broadway
West Memphis, AR 72301
870-733-6719 (fax) or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of applications will begin immediately with an estimated start date of December 1. Please note: per ASU Board Policy, all employees are required to submit to a pre-employment background check.
ASU Mid-South and the Arkansas State University System are Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employers.